In March I was facilitating a twilight workshop about gardening in the Early Years. Here in Aberdeen City, many practitioners work in settings where vandalism happens if anything is left outside, including children’s gardening efforts. So one of the things we do is to share advice and tips around gardening. For example, during this workshop, one participant recommended planting heather in that it survives being uprooted and once established is very hard to pull out. Other advice included planting bulbs such as daffodils which pop up and out and seem to be enjoyed by everyone. Continuous experimentation is needed here so any further advice and thoughts are welcomed.

One of the things I introduced was the concept of guerrilla gardening. It’s a surreptitious approach to planting which I reckon is worth a try in any setting. There is an element of excitement and anticipation around whether one’s efforts will be noticed by others and will vandals realise what is going on?

As part of the workshop we made seed bombs. These are great fun in that it is very much like following a recipe and is very doable with children of all ages.Β It works particularly well in a mud kitchen where you may have all of the utensils and materials you need, except for the seeds.

What you need to make seed bombs

1/2 egg cup of seed

This amounts to about 5 packets of seed. This is not cheap! So it is much better if you know a friendly gardener who collects and stores seeds from plants in their garden or you have been organised enough to do this with your class. Think about which seeds will work together. For example, cut-and-come-again varieties of lettuce in a bomb, or a wildflower seed mix. It is helpful to read the instructions on the packet and ensure that you seed bomb at the right time of year – usually after the frost has passed.

2 egg cups of clay

Try not to let this get too gooey. We made this mistake on the course.

2 egg cups of top soil

Some recipes recommend compost but I try and avoid shop bought varieties unless they are peat free. Also I had no compost, just wet top soil

You mix all the above together. You will not need any water if your soil is damp and your clay the normal school clay. It’s quite a nice feeling mixing the seed, clay and soil together. You need to make sure it’s thoroughly blended.

Leave to dry for a couple of days. A muffin tray works well for this purpose as it will gently heat up if left on a sunny window sill.

Then those seed bombs can be thrown anywhere. And this is what I like. Children can have a think about where might be good to aim a seed bomb. If it is in the outdoor space, school grounds or nearby then you can see how effective the technique is. I’m throwing some bombs around my garden and then a couple in some interesting places locally. I can’t wait to see what happens!

Planting with Kids

Jenny Paulin April 13, 2013 at 07:34

oooooh this is a very interesting i like the idea of these seed bombs i must remembr this activity for my boys to do x

Mrs Fitzpatrick and F2 April 13, 2013 at 08:17

This is an awesome idea, I love it! We are sowing a meadow at our school and this would be great idea for wild flower seeds πŸ™‚

Coombe Mill April 13, 2013 at 11:04

Such an original and fun idea – children will love making these, particularly the bomb throwing part! Let’s hope the birds don’t find them and you have some great results and show us a picture. Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

Kierna C April 13, 2013 at 18:41

What a cool idea & I’m sure children will love the idea of throwing it. Look forward to hearing how the ones in your garden get on.

Jaime Oliver April 13, 2013 at 21:19

these sound fab πŸ™‚

Juliet Robertson April 14, 2013 at 13:13

Thanks for your comments everyone. I’ve got my seed bombs still waiting to be thrown – we are still getting ground frost here in NE Scotland. I may hold off til May to increase my chances of success.

Juliet Robertson April 14, 2013 at 13:13

Sarahmumof3 April 16, 2013 at 10:59

oh they do look great πŸ™‚

Jen Farr April 23, 2013 at 14:08

My daughter made seed bombs at camp last year, we’re planning on making some to spread some seeds around this spring. Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party.

Blake December 30, 2013 at 02:45

Nice post and great pictures. Kids love making seed balls. You don’t need nearly that many seeds, though. Just one or two per seed ball will do. Otherwise, the can choke one another out. That keeps the cost down, too!

Juliet Robertson December 30, 2013 at 15:38

Thanks Blake – that’s a very good tip and you are quite right. Your website is lovely and well worth a visit for more information about seed bombs http://seed-balls.com

Blake February 20, 2014 at 04:46

Thanks, Juliet! Keep up the great green activities with the kiddos!