A friend has just started working in a local nursery. She’s been in the job for 11 weeks and has asked for help in terms of creating interesting challenges and possible lines of development in the schemas listed below for outdoor activities.
- burying, hiding and finding objects, covering themselves (enveloping)
- being/hiding in small spaces, building dens (enclosure)
- filling containers with material/water (containing)
- transporting material/water/children (transporting)
- construction, train layouts, bridges (connecting)
- collecting, sorting, arranging items (placing & sequencing)
- sending material/water along a pipe/guttering, going through tunnels (going through)
- throwing, kicking, running and climbing (trajectories)
- things that go round (wheeled toys, hoops, being swung around) (rotation)
- adding water to sand or soil, mixing paints (transforming)
- putting things on their head, walking around the edges of things (positioning)
Have you any suggestions or ideas that you know work well? Ideally she’d like to focus on the development of maths concepts through schematic play.